The World Community Grid software on my computer is currently registered under one member name, but I would like to have it registered under a different member name. How do I change it?
If you have already created the member name you want to use then please continue to Step 1 below.
Otherwise, go to http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/viewRegister.do and register your desired member name. You do not need to download the software again.
Once you have the new member name, please perform the following steps to change the registration:
- Open the World Community Grid – BOINC software by double left mouse clicking on the World Community Grid icon in your system tray at the bottom right hand side of your window.
- Once it is opened, if you see the ‘Simple View’, then click on the text that says ‘Advanced View’.
- Select the ‘Projects’ tab and select World Community Grid. Then click on the button that says ‘Detach’.
- Now go to the menu items at the top of your screen and select advanced and select ‘Tools’ and then ‘Attach to project…’. This will open a dialogue box. If 'Attach to project…' is grayed out, see the instructions below.
- In the dialogue box, click ‘Next’. On the next screen, scroll through the list of BOINC projects and select World Community Grid and then click the ‘Next’ button.
- On the next screen, enter the member name and password for the user that you want to register this device under.
Congratulations! You are now attached under the new member name.
Enabling 'Attach to project…': If in step 4 the option ‘Attach to project…’ is grayed out and you are unable to select it, then you need to open the file C:\Program Files\BOINC\cc_config.xml using an application such as Notepad. Once you open this file you will see a line that looks like:
change this line so that it looks like:
Now save the file. Go ahead and close the World Community Grid – BOINC software by selecting File -> Exit. You can start it again by going to Start -> Programs -> World Community Grid – BOINC Agent -> World Community Grid – BOINC Manager. You should now be able to complete step 4 above. If you experience any problems please visit our forums or utilize the “contact us” feature at the bottom of most pages of our website.