Thank you for your interest in World Community Grid. World Community Grid is an International Business Machines Corporation ("IBM") philanthropic initiative which enables anyone with a computer, smartphone or tablet to donate their unused processing power to scientific research on health, poverty and sustainability.
By participating on the WCG Site or in WCG Research projects, you agree that:
- This WCG Site contains proprietary notices and copyright information, which you must observe and follow. IBM owns World Community Grid and the WCG Site. IBM owns, or has authority to post, all content on the WCG Site (other than the Required Software (as hereinafter defined) and User Content (“Site Content”). IBM grants you non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited permission to access the WCG Site and the Site Content and to participate in WCG Research Projects. You may not copy, reproduce, upload, post, modify, transmit, mirror on another site or in any other media, distribute or create derivative works of the WCG Site or the Site Content. IBM does not grant you any express or implied rights or licenses under any patents, trademarks, copyrights, or other proprietary or intellectual property rights. “Required Software” is software from IBM or a third party that you will need to run on your device to participate in WCG Research Project.
- You are responsible for all User Content that you upload, post, display, submit or otherwise transmit (“post”) to the WCG Site.
- You agree to only post User Content that you created or developed or that you have permission or authorization to post. IBM may, in its sole discretion, for any reason or no reason at all, access, delete, edit or remove any User Content posted on this Site, without permission of or notification to the participant who posted the User Content. IBM may (but is not obligated to) monitor the activities and postings of participants (or be alerted to the same) on this Site for any reason, such as if IBM believes such action is necessary to comply with any law or act in an emergency.
- User Content may be made available to third party search engines on the Internet as well as though the Site’s search engine. User Content that you post will be available for use on a global basis by IBM, other participants and others, who are not participants, but who view the User Content on the Internet without royalties or restrictions.
- The social communication features on the WCG Site are effective ways to interact with others and share such items as stories, motivation, project news, milestones, technical support and troubleshooting information. Remember that these tools are intended for individuals who wish to share and discuss their participation in World Community Grid. They are not intended for personal or non-World Community Grid related topics or agendas, for sharing confidential or restricted information, for aggregating lists of contacts for sale or distribution, for soliciting sales or employment, or for human resources related subjects. The World Community Grid Communication Guidelines provide additional direction.
- IBM, other participants and others who are not participants but who view the User Content on the Internet may use User Content, in whole or in part, for any purpose, may create derivative works thereof and may sublicense others to do the same.
- You may cease being a participant on the WCG Site or any WCG Projects at any time for any reason or no reason at all. If you cease your participation in WCG, your member name will be deactivated (so you cannot access the site anymore), but your User Content will remain on the Site visible to other participants. IBM will disassociate your User Content from your member name. IBM and other participants may continue to use User Content as provided in Section 3.b and 3.d above.
- IBM is not responsible for User Content or the accuracy of any User Content or the accuracy of any User Content posted. Participants shall remain solely responsible for the User Content they post. User Content does not represent the views or opinions of IBM. IBM does not guarantee that any User Content is correct or accurate and IBM does not endorse any User Content.
- You will not use any team or individual name or ID or content or hyperlink to another site in connection with World Community Grid or the WCG Site that could be considered offensive or objectionable in any way. IBM will have the sole discretion to decide whether a Name, ID Content or Hyperlink to another site is offensive or objectionable in any way. At IBM's request, you will immediately change the Name or ID, remove the content, and end the hyperlink. In the event you include a hyperlink to another site, you will make it explicit that World Community Grid is not responsible in any way for that site or its content.
- IBM may, at any time, modify, change, discontinue or terminate World Community Grid or the WCG Site or any WCG Research projects in whole or in part.
- IBM is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of any sites linked to or from the WCG Site.
- From time to time, IBM may add specialized sections or areas of this Site (such as those targeting specific topic for discussion or specific participants) or may offer for download software or other materials, for which additional terms and conditions may be applicable. Prior to your participation in such specialized sections or areas or your download of such materials, your acceptance of such additional terms and conditions will be required.
- To participate in World Community Grid, you will need to run Required Software on your device including software made available for grid computing from third parties, such as the University of California. Depending on your device settings, you may receive automatic software updates. You agree to comply with the software license for any such software, and you will use the software only as permitted by such licenses. The term “your device” means a device you own or for which you have the owner's permission to use for participating in WCG or running WCG Research projects. You agree that you will only run the software on your device.
- If World Community Grid is run in an environment where you are charged for the use of any of central processor power, graphics processing unit, storage space, memory or network bandwidth, then running World Community Grid may cause you to incur higher charges than you otherwise would. You agree that those costs and any other costs or expenses you may incur in running World Community Grid are your responsibility and will not be reimbursed by IBM or anyone else.
- IBM may make available certain materials intended for you to share with third parties in order to spread the word about World Community Grid, for example on the Marketing Toolkit page. IBM grants you a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to use the marketing materials solely for the purpose of spreading the word about World Community Grid.
- USE OF THE WCG SITE AND PARTICIPATION IN WORLD COMMUNITY GRID AND WORLD COMMUNITY GRID RESEARCH PROJECTS ARE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. WORLD COMMUNITY GRID, THE WCG SITE, SITE CONTENT AND REQUIRED SOFTWARE (WHETHER PROVIDED BY IBM OR A THIRD PARTY), INCLUDING ALL MATERIALS, INFORMATION, PRODUCTS, SOFTWARE, SERVICES AND PROGRAMS PROVIDED ON THIS SITE, ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," WITH NO WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES WHATSOEVER. IBM EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, AND OTHER WARRANTIES, GUARANTEES, OR REPRESENTATIONS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS. IBM DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTIONS CONTAINED IN THIS SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, THAT THE WCG SITE IS SECURE, OR THAT THE WCG SITE OR THE SERVER THAT MAKES THE WCG SITE AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT IF YOU DOWNLOAD OR OTHERWISE OBTAIN MATERIALS, INFORMATION, PRODUCTS, SOFTWARE (INCLUDING REQUIRED SOFTWARE), PROGRAMS, OR SERVICES, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY RESULT, INCLUDING LOSS OF DATA OR DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- IF YOU SUFFER ANY HARM OR LOSSES AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE WCG SITE, SITE CONTENT, REQUIRED SOFTWARE, USER CONTENT OR YOUR PARTICIPATION IN WCG RESEARCH PROJECTS, YOU MAY CEASE BEING A PARTICIPANT IN WCG OR ON THE WCG SITE OR ANY WCG RESEARCH PROJECTS, WHICH SHALL BE YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR SUCH HARM OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL IBM BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY TYPE WHATSOEVER RELATED TO OR ARISING FROM THE WCG SITE, SITE CONTENT, USER CONTENT, REQUIRED SOFTWARE, ANY USE OF THIS SITE OR ANY WCG PROJECT, OR OF ANY SITE OR RESOURCE LINKED TO, REFERENCED, OR ACCESSED THROUGH THIS SITE, OR FOR THE USE OR DOWNLOADING OF, OR ACCESS TO, ANY MATERIALS, INFORMATION, SOFTWARE (INCLUDING REQUIRED SOFTWARE), PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOST SAVINGS OR LOSS OF PROGRAMS OR OTHER DATA, EVEN IF IBM IS EXPRESSLY ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THIS EXCLUSION AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY APPLIES TO ALL CAUSES OF ACTION, WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORIES.
- This agreement will be governed by the substantive laws of the State of New York, United States of America. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods will not apply. Each party waives its right to a jury trial and agrees that any claim under this agreement or in connection with World Community Grid must be brought in a Federal District Court in New York State.
- This is the entire agreement between the parties relating to your participation in World Community Grid, and it supersedes any prior oral or written agreements or understandings about it.
- IBM may give you notice by posting on the WCG Site or by email to you at the email address you provided to IBM (if you provided one). You may provide notice to IBM by our “Contact Us” feature.
- You agree to comply with all applicable laws, including, without limitation, privacy laws and export (and re-export) and import laws, regulations, orders, and policies, including the Export Administration Regulations, trade and economic sanctions maintained by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Asset Control and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations maintained by the Department of State.
- IBM will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. For more information, please go to IBM’s Digital Millennium Copyright Act Notices. IBM will terminate without notice participants who are “repeat infringers” of copyrights.
- IBM may offer features that allow you to opt-in to link your World Community Grid activities to social media networks, like Twitter. It is entirely up to you whether or not to use such features.