- What is BOINC?
- How can I tell which version of the BOINC software I am using?
- How do I check if I have the latest supported version of the BOINC software?
- How do I upgrade to the latest supported version of the BOINC Software?
- How do I know that the BOINC software is running correctly?
- I have a platform that isn't supported by World Community Grid. Could I get a copy of the research application code and compile it myself?
- Will World Community Grid ever run on a game box?
- What was the difference between run time reported by the United Devices version and the BOINC version?
- How is "run time" calculated?
What is BOINC?
The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) is open-source software that supports volunteer computing. BOINC was developed under a National Science Foundation grant at the University of California, Berkeley and is used for many different volunteer computing initiatives. It consists of software that a user downloads and runs on their computer, as well as server components that handle distributing work units and receiving results.
World Community Grid uses BOINC as a key part of its infrastructure in order to help support research for multiple institutions. Volunteers participate in World Community Grid either by downloading the World Community Grid branded version of the BOINC software, or the BOINC software itself, available directly from BOINC's website.
More information about BOINC can be found here.
How can I tell which version of the BOINC software I am using?
How do I check if I have the latest supported version of the BOINC software?
You may check which version of the software that World Community Grid is currently supporting by visiting this page: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/viewDownloadAgain.do . The version number is displayed below the name of the agent for each operating system. If this number is the same as the version number that you have installed then you have the latest supported version.
How do I upgrade to the latest supported version of the BOINC Software?
You may upgrade to the latest version of the World Community Grid software by visiting https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/viewDownloadAgain.do and following the directions on that page.