Scroll down to the section that says 'Network Usage' and find the item labeled: Transfer at most: X Mbytes every Y days.
You can use this to say that you only want World Community Grid to use at most 500MBytes of bandwidth every 7 days (which would then limit you to 2GBytes/month). Or you could put 1024MBytes every 31 days which would limit you to 1GB per month.
What ports do I have to open on my firewall to let the software connect to the server?
What should I do if I receive a pop-up from an Anti-spy programs and/or pop-up blockers
How will World Community Grid software affect people who use a VPN for telecommuting?
Why does my firewall keep asking me if I want to contact World Community Grid. Isn't it safe?
Does the World Community Grid software work with Zone Labs and how do I configure the Firewall?
Yes. The software initiates only outgoing connections on ports 80, 443 to www.worldcommunitygrid.org. If www.worldcommunitygrid.org cannot be contacted it will attempt to connect to ibm.com to verify the internet connection is active.These could be preconfigured as a safe zone. Alternatively, the boinc.exe and boincmgr.exe executables in the BOINC install directory could be configured to be permitted to perform this communication. However, if and when we update the agent software, it could need to be configured again.
- Double click on the Zone Labs icon in the system tray at the lower right.
- Click on "Firewall" at the left.
- Click on the "Zones" folder tab in the upper right area.
- Click on "Add >>" in the lower right.
- Choose "Host/Site".
- Select "Trusted" for the Zone field.
- Enter "www.worldcommunitygrid.org" for the Host Name field.
- Enter "World Community Grid" for the Description field.
- Click the Lookup button.
- Click OK.
- Click Apply in the lower right.
- Then close the window with the X in the upper right.
Does the World Community Grid software work with Symantec Client Firewall and how do I configure the Firewall?
Yes. The software initiates only outgoing connections on ports 80 and 443 to www.worldcommunitygrid.org. This could be preconfigured as a safe zone. Alternatively, the boinc.exe and boincmgr.exe executables in the BOINC install directory could be configured to be permitted to perform this communication. However, if and when we update the agent software, it could need to be configured again.
Configuring the Symantec Client Firewall:
- Double click on the Symantec Client Firewall icon in the system tray at the lower right.
- With "Status & Settings" selected, click on "Client Firewall".
- Click on the Configure button.
- Click on the Programs tab.
- Under "Manual Program Control", scroll down to "BOINC client".
- Click on the arrow next to whatever is currently displayed under "Internet Access" and select Permit All.
- Repeat the previous step, this time for "World Community Grid" under the Programs list.
- Click the OK button, and close the Symantec Client Firewall using the X in the upper right.
If "BOINC Client" or "World Community Grid" are not listed as a Program under "Manual Program Control" you can add it by clicking the Add button, and adding 2 programs. Both programs are in the location where the World Community Grid BOINC client was installed (usually C:\Program Files\BOINC). First select "boinc.exe". Then click Add again and pick "boincmgr.exe".
How do I determine why I cannot connect to the World Community Grid servers?
How do I find out my proxy information?
How do I configure the software to use a proxy?
The dialogue that opens has tabs that allow you to enter in your HTTP or SOCKS proxy information.
- Double click on the World Community Grid or BOINC icon in the system tray
- When it opens, if you see some text that says select 'Advanced View', then click on it
- From the options on the top of the screen select 'Advanced' -> 'Options'
I entered in my proxy information but I still cannot get work. How do I get it to work?
How do I figure out what type of proxy authentication I am using?