What is a World Community Grid team?
Once you register with World Community Grid, you have the option to join an existing team, or create a new team. (Please note: to create a new team you are required to have a username.)
When you are on a team, you may compete with other teams for total run time, points, and results returned. Joining a team does not affect your individual member statistics.
May I join more than one team?
How do I join a team?
- Go to the home page and log in.
- From the My Contribution page, select My Team from the left navigation menu.
- From the Find a Team page, under Keyword Search, Next to "Team" select the "Name" drop down and in the text box next to "Contains:", enter all or portions of the team name of the team that you wish to join,
- Press search. If there is more than one team name returned, find the one that you wish to join.
- Click on the team name and the system will return the team information.
- Press "join this team" to become a member of the team.
How do I quit a team?
Go to the home page and sign in. From the My Contribution page, select My Team from the left navigation menu, the system will return the team information for the team of which you are a member. Press "quit" and you will no longer be a member of that team. The statistics that you have contributed to this team will stay with that team.
If you are not currently a member of any team, "quit" will not be an option.
How do I create a new team?
Your personal World Community Grid account must have a username before you can create a team. Please go here for instructions on how to create a username.
Go to the home page and sign in. From the My Contribution page, select My Team from the left navigation menu, then select Create a New Team from the left navigation menu. Follow the instructions on the page for adding a team and then select save.
Please familiarize yourself with what the World Community Grid considers objectionable before creating a new team.
How may I tell how much my team is contributing?
- Go to the home page and sign in. On the My Contribution page, the team that you are a member of will be shown in the center of the page next to My Team. Select that link to view the team statistics.
- Click Here to search for a team. This section is listed under "Find a Team" in the My Contribution section, but will allow you to search through all the teams that have been created at World Community Grid.
How do I contact my team members?
Team captains may e-mail (email) the members of their team and team members may send e-mails to their team captain. To use this feature, just go to your team page and click the "e-mail team" or "e-mail captain" button.
Team e-mails will be sent to any member of the team who has opted-in to receive the e-mails. If there are no members opted-in, there is a warning message for the captain, and there is no button to send the e-mail. The same applies in reverse if the captain has not opted-in.
To opt-in to team e-mails, you may go to My Profile and select the option to receive team e-mails. You will also see that you can enter in an alternate email address that is used only for team emails.
Some teams have a URL pointing to their site where they have created a special forum for team members to chat. As an alternative, you might go to the World Community Grid forums by selecting Forums from the global navigation bar. The forums contain Team forums expressly for team activity. You might consider reaching out to other members from your team in one of these forums.
We recommend that you do not divulge any private information in the forums as they are public forums.
How may I change my team name, description, or URL?
My team page contains the words "BOINC Team ID." What does that mean?
Is there an easy way for my friends to join my team?
How do you change team captains?
How is my team rank calculated?
What is a Team Challenge?
How do I create a Team Challenge?
How do I create a Team Challenge that is open to all teams?
How do I create a Team Challenge that is just limited to certain teams?
How do I invite teams from my team's country?
May I invite more teams to my Team Challenge after I issue it?
How do the Increase in XXXX challenges work?
How will the captains of teams I've invited to my challenge know about it?
- If a captain has chosen to receive Team E-mails (on the My Profile page), they will receive an email for each challenge to which they are invited.
- On the My Team page, there is a Challenge Control Panel. Team captains will see challenges to which they've been invited under a section called Pending Challenges. Captains can accept challenges directly from the Challenge Control Panel, or they can click the name of the Team Challenge to view the full details of the Team Challenge before accepting or declining the invitation.
Where do I check on the status, statistics, etc. for my Team Challenge (or a challenge my team is participating in)?
Plan Ahead for Team Challenges!